Monday, March 03, 2008

Of postcards and planners...

...and of earthly possessions. Two of the most precious things in my life and I know I'd die without them (or at least I'd die if National stops selling the planners):

These things are second nature to me, just like getting used to having a night cap or spending weekends with Gabe. Writing in my planner has become a habit and it's funny when I look back at all the things I have written along the way. Reading about this guy who goes by the codename (self-imposed) of "mirror" back in third year highschool now gives me the classic cringe that adults are known for when thrown back to memory lane. Why the hell did I call him "mirror" in the first place? Eeeew. Or what about the countless chocolate wrappers that are found inside my 1997/1998 planner --- a sweet attempt by an ex-boyfriend to end what was obviously a superficial fight. Or maybe handwritten notes by other special people who had the special privilege of peeking into my life and leaving their mark.
Somehow, as we go along the way, the issues get deeper and the fears become bigger. Career becomes a priority and relationships take more hard work to keep. Family ties become important and now we see the world in a bigger picture. These are just the snippets of my life that are captured --- for the last 13 years --- and reading them just never fails to amuse me.
And here they are in a more presentable form - like a family picture!

The blue one is by far the most tattered planner. This was year 2007 and you bet it was a crazy year.
Remember the classic question? If your house was caught on fire, what would be the things that you will do your darn best to save? Aside from my planners...this is what I would fight for:


I just love anything and everything that's handwritten. I don't know why...looking at it is just so addicting that it gives me a natural high. My routine: everytime I travel, I'd go buy postcards and on my last day (or at least hours before my flight back home) would send them to my friends from all over. Julia in Singapore, JJ and Logan in KL, Maya in Japan, Ted in Korea, Rafael in Mexico, Clive in London, Weng in Manila and Eduardo in Australia. Plus I send one to Gabe and myself :-) What's even great is that strangers send me postcards too!

4 comments:

♥SomethingPurple♥ 8:24 AM  

for a neophyte photog kay, you're really good! as in. happy weekend.

http://em.wifespeaks.com
http://mysomethingpurple.com

Kay Calpo 10:33 AM  

Thanks Em! I try my best :-)

Hope you're weekend is going well!

Anonymous,  11:10 AM  

i sent you a post card from minnesota in 2006. would you mind if i send you some more? i wouldn'n at all. let me know, kay.

Kay Calpo 4:44 PM  

Hey Jenn!!! Of course I wouldn't mind. Bring it on!!! :D

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP